73. I Can't"Ivory, please," Ian imagined himself saying, pleading, begging. "Ivory, please, stay here, with me. We'll be able to be together forever."And, always, always, always, Ivory would answer back, with such reality, even though it was only a dream, "I can't."Ian would scream, cry, and beg again and again, but the answer was always the same. Her answer was always that she couldn't, wouldn't, stay with him. Then, she would walk away from him, leaving him alone in the darkness.Ian hated, hated, hated that phrase. He didn't want Ivory to leave him. He didn't want her to abandon him. But, not even in his dreams did Ivory stay. She always, always, always left, like, Ian imagined, she would in reality too. She would leave him because now he was a vampire and she was an immortal."I want you to stay with me forever," Ian always told Ivory, whether in his dreams or in reality.In his dreams, she always, always, always rejected it. She always, always, always walked away. But, in reality, she crie
87. FoodElliot had no idea why Kana liked eating so much. He himself never saw eating as anything enjoyable, only a necessity in order to continue functioning, only a waste of valuable time that could be spent doing something else.But, Kana liked eating a lot, and since Elliot was traveling with her, he had to spent a lot of time eating too. Or, at least, pretending to eat, or waiting for the girl to finish eating, or yelling at the girl to finish eating."Why do you like eating so much, Kana?" he asked one day."Why do you not like eating so much, Elli?" she quipped, using the nickname that the boy dislikes."Because... Because it's pointless."Kana blinked at that, as if she couldn't comprehend where the boy was coming from. "Don't you feel good after you've eating good food, Elli?""I feel the same."Kana tilted her head, blinking rapidly, as if she couldn't fathom what exactly Elliot was saying. "So, you don't differentiate between good or bad food?""Well, some foods are naturally better
31. FlowersEllis thought flowers were pretty.Well, of course she did. Didn't all girls think flowers were pretty?But, Ellis didn't like flowers much.They were so fragile, so ephemeral, so quick to die. With one little touch, they would crumble in her hands. They would turn black and, in another moment, be only dust in her hands.Flowers were pretty, and so they couldn't be tainted.If they were tainted, they would die.Ellis found that funny. She herself was tainted, completely and utterly, and she wasn't dead (yet). Why couldn't flowers be that way?Such a waste. Such a waste.Flowers were so pretty. So, so pretty, yet they would die so easily.So, Ellis didn't like flowers much.(and, it was probably all for the best that she couldn't really touch them)(touching them would transfer part of her taint)(the flowers would die)(such a pity)But, Ellis did think that they were pretty. Very, very pretty.
38. AbandonedIt was just a normal day, or, at least, as normal a day as any in the life of the young Christopher, scarcely fifteen and already running a thriving information network with connections to the black market.Chris had decided to take most of the day off after one of his cover offices in the next city over had been ransacked. The criminals had no doubt been looking for him, and due to its proximity with his actual residence, Chris decided that it would be safer if he went home for the day. Even if they found out where he lived--which the boy doubted but didn't rule out; better safe than sorry--it was much easier to fight in familiar territory than otherwise.Of course, on the way home, the boy had been sure to dress casually, so as not to attract attention, and be especially aware of his surroundings. This led to him noticing something that he would never had otherwise and, unbeknown to the boy, would affect his current as well as future lifestyle drastically.A girl?He stopped,
56. Danger AheadAlice loved, loved, loved being an Immortal. Alice loved most things in the world. She loved life. She loved living. And she loved Avelin. She loved Damien. She loved Kina. She loved pretty much everyone.The only thing that Alice didn't like about being an Immortal is the suffering that she has to witness. She didn't really understand why other Immortals, Damien especially, would suffer so much because of their never-ending life. Didn't they want to live? Hadn't they been grateful when they found themselves alive again?Alice was grateful. She had always been and will always be grateful to Avelin for saving her life that day, so many millennia ago.Damien always said that he was grateful to her, but Alice knew that he would lie sometimes and say it when he didn't mean it. She knew Damien. She knew that he was always, always in danger now. She knew that he was slowly going insane from living.She knew yet she could do nothing about it.It hurt Alice. It really hurt her. And, she wanted